-

-

Sunday 11 September 2011

NYFW Designer Profile: Jason Wu


It's that time of year again when fashionista's flock to the upper east side for New York Fashion Week, where the top designers showcase their ready-to-wear collections for A/W 2011 and S/s 2012. It would honestly take me all week to go through every collection that I loved, so instead I've just picked one.
The manhatten-based fashion designer, Jason Wu, was born in Taiwan in 1982. He learned how to sew by designing and sewing for dolls, and went on to study sculpture in Tokyo. Wu continued this career path at sixteen by learning to create freelance doll clothing designs for toy company Integrity Toys under the lines "Jason Wu dolls" and later "Fashion Royalty". Later he studied at Parsons: The New School for Design in New York and went on to intern for Narciso Rodriguez.


Jason Wu debuted his first Ready-To-Wear Collection in 2006 with a unique and distinctive aesthetic, Through merging American sportswear with old world sophistication, he established a supremely feminine and modern sensibility.



“I have always found a woman’s body to be especially beautiful ever since taking my first life drawing class as a teenager. I was drawn to fashion design as it is my passion to create garments that enhance and flatter the female form,” explains Jason.
So, onto his showcase of the S/S 2012 collection! 
Jason Wu debuted a collection fit for modern sophisticates who aren’t fussy or stuffy. Inspired by pop art, he played with proportion as well as contrasting black, grey and white basics with sherbet brights of pink and yellow in his colour palette. The models were styled with waist cinching narrow belts,  hair was pulled up into messy spiky updos and flashed bright tangerine lips as they came down the runway, walking to 'Grace (Sleeparchive Remix)' by Miss Kittin. Click here to listen!









~ P

3 comments:

  1. Nice post!


    http//meruborizo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg his collection is dreamy, so many amazing pieces that I can make my mind witch are the best and I love the dresses and skirts, such beautiful colors, amazing! You have a lovely blog and I am a new follower! Hope you will like my blog and follow back!

    Pop Culture&Fashion Magic

    ReplyDelete
  3. All his designs are so beautiful! Love that grey dress with feathers (?)

    ReplyDelete